Friday, April 20, 2007

Dharma Bums to page 171

"I figured if it was my destiny to die on the midnight ghost it was my destiny."

I found this quote interesting because he had yet to speak of death in the book, and when he does he seems to have a very relaxed viewpoint. Perhaps because he is a buddhist and believes in reincarnation. Or because he has had that revelation of what he is here to do, to teach, to enjoy, and to fill his empty pages. He is walking on clouds. Nothing can being him to the realities of his hitch hiking.

"Suddenly I exhilerated to realize I was completely alone and safe, and nobody was going to wake me up all night long."

I really liked this quote, because I realized that it is so rare for someone to be completely alone, and know nobody was going to disturb them. Only a few times in my life have I come to this realization. It is an exciting and a bit frightening realization, "exhilierating" being his word. I also thought about how society forms itself in this way. We live close to each other in our houses and normally everyone can see another house from theirs. From our houses most people are only a three-number digit from help if there is trouble. But Ray is living a moment that many do not.

No comments: