Sunday, May 6, 2007

MORE Seeing By Anne Dillard (first part, sorry tom switch them)

pg. 1
"But if you cultivate a healthy poverty amd simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days."
I like this quote because it portrays how if you live simply every gift will make your day. Every penny and simple thing that the world has rejected as under them will be the equivilant to gold to the person. If we live like beggers every simple thing life throws at us will make every day a gift. The impoverished are the ones who know the true meaning of appreciation, so says the author.

pg. 7

"When I walk witha camera, I walk from shot to shot, reading the light on a calibrated meter. When I walk without a camera, my own shutter opens, and the moment's light prints on my own silver gut. When I see the second way I am above all an unscrupulous observer."

I liked this quote because I never thought of it this way until reading this, but it is true that when I have a camera in my hand there are a myriad of things I don't notice that I would have without. I walk trying to get a good group picture, or a monument, or a steriotypical facebook album. I look for smiles, poses, picturesque flowers in rows. Without my camera I note peoples expressions, the rolling candy wrapper that brings on a thought process of responsibility. A couple with their first date expressions, confused parents who are too young to have children. With my camera I see only what I should, or what I can share with others with my camera, pictures of my family and friends smiling or playing, but there is so much more to be seen than the smiles.

No comments: